Monday, August 30, 2004

One Week Down: Weigh to Go!

I should avoid puns, but some words are hard to resist.

It's been a week since the surgery and today was a celebration and a long journey all rolled into one.

Let's break it down:
*18.5 -- pounds lost
*Incisions healing quite nicely
*Old protein out, new protein in

The folks at Misi did a very good job of making my first visit post-op seem like a triumphant return. The door opens......Msssssss Spencer!

All the eyes in the waiting room turn to me and I get up trying hard to smile, but trying harder to walk straight (like I'm afraid that a prospective patient will catch on that this actually hurts).

The scale says I've dropped 18.5 pounds. That's nice. Would have been a real downer to have dropped 2 pounds or none at all. That's nearly 20 pounds, but I must admit I don't feel like I've done much to earn it at this point (Yes, I was a good bleeder!).

Dr. Leblanc is the perfect combination of proud parent, head coach and fine craftsman. I get a warm hug and approving smile. He's happy with my weight loss and he thinks the incision spots are doing well. When I complained of a little pain over my stomach and near the port, he explains that its par for the course. "Hey, we boogered ya up plenty good on that side." (The technical prowless of a master at work!)

The task ahead of me is to find protein alternatives that don't spark my hives. It wasn't as hard as I had thought. On the way home, we happened upon a Smoothie King when Scott's favorite suishi bar had closed after lunch.

My substitute is "Natural Whey." Way? Yes, whey.

This powdered protein supplement contains 22 grams of protein per serving and no articial colors or sweeteners. When mixed with a cup of skim milk, I get a meal yielding 31 grams of protein. Bingo!

The whole experience was terribly taxing for Scott. He had to hit the Wendy's before attempting the long drive home. He got the single and hot fries just like he prefers them, but they forgot to take off the 'evil' lettuce. But don't think he's cruel -- he offered me a fist full of fries ... and they were hot. (Those of you who know me best will be shocked, but relieved to know that Scott isn't speaking at any higher pitches today.)

1 comment:

Dan said...

18.5 lbs!!!!!

That is incredible.

Best of luck on the complete journey.
Bet you can't wait to see the new you.

Be blessed.
Dan