Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I Know What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up

BUFF!

Yes, you heard it right. After a year of losing the same 10-15 pounds over and over again, I'm healthier, not facing any surgeries (cross fingers, toes, eyes) and I have received my Damascus Road instructions and I feel incredibly led to be buff.

I never wanted to be thin, so this is no great surprise to some. Many goal weights can be debated because being too heavy or too thin can raise serious issues. I just decided that a "buff Frances" is something that everyone can live with.

The picture at the right is my attempt to visual where I wanted to be. NO, THAT'S NOT IT. I couldn't find a happy median between saggy-thin and still carrying a hefty load. I did go looking and after bypassing too many naked BBWs and scary-thin folks at their "medical chart weights," I decided to post (mangle) this one as my way of saying "Frances wants muscles, repaired abs and some "junk in the trunk." (Ok, if you don't know that one, I'm not going to be the one to explain it)

After several stagnant months, the scale started moving and I've gotten on and managed to stay on my bike fairly regularly. Building endurance is pretty empowering and I guess I started thinking I could "leap tall buildings." (Shh, yes, I know I'm 5'5")




I brought this bike three newspapers and more than 13 years ago. I'm finally getting some miles out of it. Yes, those are my real legs.



It's pretty cocky for someone like me to be "choosy" about the improved body I'm trying to build. I prefer to call it blessed. I'm starting to get kinda accustomed to the thought of "life more abundantly: ya know having your cake and eating it too"

No, I don't want cake. I want --MORE -- dare I say, I want it all. I want to eat well, play well, work well and be well. I don't know where that will fall on the scale. I don't think it's 130 pounds and no offense to anyone there. I see some things I want to keep and some things I would like to donate to Good Will. (Pick up the extra skin flaps NOW!!!)

I'm sure I will get back to food on this blog, but I'm in a muscle-movement mode. I want a normal percentage of body fat-to-muscle and I don't care as much what that means on the scale.

I joined a 2-Week Challenge for lap bandsters on OH.com. I'm ready to focus on my body for the first time in a long time. I got the green light -- no hernias, no masses, less pain, less swelling (keeps me humble) and spring time is amongst us.

Here's my plan for the next two weeks:

  • 3-5 Miles biking a day
  • 96-100 oz. of water a day
  • Daily ab and arm work (tattered tummy might hate me for this -- 40 crunches, ouch)
  • Praise and prayer stretching (Power Palates?)
  • Evict the scale (weigh on Mondays)
  • Keep measurements
  • Set appointments with new PCP and AB personal trainer
I started today at about 268. I would like to reach 260. I've ridden the bike twice by 4:45 p.m. I'm on my 72nd ounce of water. I called the manager and trainer at Foxy's and he will see me in two hours ... yeah, baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Frances! I loved reading it, and seeing your pictures! My name is Allison, and I am also on OH lap band site. My name there is MyLifeIsMyKarma. I feel inspired to get my bike out. Hopefully the snow here in Utah is finished falling for the season, and it will stay warm enough to get outside and get this butt of mine moving! : ) All the best to you in your 2 week quest.

Anonymous said...

Frances,

You rock! I look forward to seeing you all buff and beautiful (hey a new meaning for BBW - Buff and Beautiful Women). But I swear, I don't care what you cook for me I am not oiling up your muscles so you can be all shiny like that!

With love,

Carole